- Perfect for those short on time—explore the Nagano region in just one day
- Observe the Japanese macaques bathing in the local hot springs at Jigokudani Monkey Park
- Enjoy winter activities—snow sledding, snow bikes, snow scooters—at Japan's biggest ski resort
- Take in the views from the top of a 5,800-foot (1,900-meter) ski slope
Departure & Return
In front of the Information Board at 09:20 Nagano Station across the Shinkansen ticket gates. Your guide will be wearing a SNOW MONKEY RESORTS tour tag and guide ID. The tour will need to depart by 09:30 so please ensure you are at the meeting point in advance of the meeting time.
The meetup point is at the entrance of Hotel Kokusai 21 at 09:00. Please note that this is a group tour and not a private tour. Your guide will not have time to wait or call up to your room so please ensure you are at the hotel entrance in advance of the meetup time so that the tour is not delayed.
For guests joining from Yudanaka Station: your guide will meet you at Yudanaka Station at 10:40. Your guide will be wearing a SNOW MONKEY RESORTS tour tag and guide ID. The tour will need to depart immediately so please ensure you are at the meeting point in advance of the meeting time.
The meetup point is in front of the Shibu Onsen Visitor Centre at 10:45. Please be sure to look for the guide wearing a SNOW MONKEY RESORTS tour tag and please be waiting before the meetup time as the tour will depart by on-time.
The meetup point is at the entrance of Hotel Senjukaku at 10:50. Please note that this is a group tour and not a private tour. Your guide will not have time to wait or call up to your room so please ensure you are at the hotel entrance in advance of the meetup time so that the tour is not delayed.
What To Expect
Take a walk down a forest trail, arriving at an area where you can observe the famous Japanese macaques that warm up by bathing in the area hot springs. Warm up and refuel with lunch at an area restaurant (included), then head to a ski resort in the Shiga Kogen Highlands. Known as one of the largest winter resorts in Japan, the area gained further publicity thanks to its hosting role for the 1998 Winter Olympics.
Spend a few hours having fun with some of the ski resort’s different activities which include snow sledding, snow bikes, and snow scooters. You also have time to ride the ski lift up to its highest point at 5,800-feet (1,900-meters), offering panoramic views of the greater Nagano region.
Return back to your original departure point to conclude the tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The temperature in Shiga Kogen is cold and could be as low as -5°C to -15°C. Please be dressed in warm, waterproof clothing and boots for snow activities. If required, clothing including snow jackets, pants, gloves and snow boots can be rented at the Snow Monkey Park. Please note that there is limited availability for snow outfits, so if you have waterproof, warm clothes fit for snow activities, please bring these with you on the day of the tour.
- Guests are required to walk in and out of the monkey park along a 1.6km / 1 mile trail. In winter, the trail and park will be affected by snow and ice. This walk should not be attempted by anyone who is mobility impaired, in a wheelchair or cannot confidently walk an extended distance over snow and ice. Snow fun activities also require guests to be of reasonable fitness and mobility to enjoy. If you have concerns about your or a member of your groups ability to handle the conditions, please contact us to discuss prior to booking. Rental boots (JPY500) are available close to the monkey park, if required. Crampons (metal spikes that attach underneath your shoes/boots) can also be purchased, if required.
- The transport used for this tour depends on the size of the tour group. For smaller tours groups, we will use the express train service from Nagano Station to Yudanaka Station followed by a private vehicle to and from the ski resort. For large groups, we may arrange our own transport i.e. small tour bus, from / to Nagano Station and all listed destinations.
- The tour itinerary can be reversed and we may visit the monkeys first followed by lunch and Shiga Kogen, depending on weather and road conditions and other factors on the day. We do so in an effort to provide guests the best possible experience on the day.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible and may not be suitable for mobility-impaired travels. Should you have any concerns about your ability to join the tour, please contact us to discuss prior to booking.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- This tour does not include skiing or snowboarding, nor is there the time to arrange your own skiing and snowboarding while at the resort.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park or that the monkeys leave the park early. While this is unlikely to happen, it is possible and is outside of our control.
- While unlikely, should weather or road conditions make it impossible to access Shiga Kogen, we would switch the activity to a visit to Zenko-ji Temple. As we cannot confirm weather conditions until the day of the tour, we would not be able to notify guests of the change in advance.
- The minimum age to join this tour is 3. Infants (3-5) can join free of charge. No tour meal is included. Please order food directly to the restaurant.
- This tour is insured however as the guest, you are required to have your own travel insurance which covers snow activities including riding chairlifts and using snowdrives, snowscoots, sleds, and tubes. Please confirm that your insurance policy covers this activity prior to the tour.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers
- OPERATED BY Machinovate Japan Ltd.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff