Explore our promoted experiences
- Samurai lesson in Kyoto
- Discover the traditional performing art of Kembu, practiced by samurai for centuries
- Learn from a master instructor how to bow, draw a samurai sword and strike with stylized movements
- Upgrade for a longer practice session and perform choreography
- Enjoy a photo session in costume and receive a certificate
Departure & Return
35-7 Sanchome, Higashiyama-ku | B1F GOZAN Hotel, Kyoto 605-0005, Kyoto Prefecture
What To Expect
Start your samurai training by making your way to the Kembu Kyoto Dojo. Your class time will vary depending on the length and option you have selected. Meet your instructor and watch a short 3-minute film detailing the basic practices of the samurai, the warrior class that dominated feudal Japan between the 12th and 19th centuries.
Then suit up in your samurai uniform for the day, including a white belt, Japanese-style socks and, of course, your sword. Start your experience by learning the proper methods to bow, then begin your sword training with an introduction to drawing it and replacing it in its protective scabbard. As you attempt to master this tricky technique, you’ll also test out various methods of striking the sword.
Take a moment during your training to suit up in a traditional samurai costume for a short photo session before learning how to wield the sword against a potential opponent. For those that selected the 1-hour session, your experience ends here with a respectful bow to your instructor. Grab your photos and a certificate of achievement before departing.
Optional Upgrade: 2-Hour LessonIf you booked a 2-hour lesson, continue to learn stylized movements of the samurai, including how to walk and how to use the folding fan if you wish. Complete your session with some challenging Kembu choreography, which you will perform with your sword on stage, accompanied by a poem and music.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Please wear clothes suited for exercise and moving around
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- The lesson part is currently about 90 minutes in this program
- Includes about 15 minutes of break time
- Finally, learn by watching the sword dance demonstration show
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Ginbu Co., LTD. (former name: Samurai Kenbu Co., LTD.)
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- "Overall this class is a must, easy to get to on the train and its for everyone to participate in." See review
- "One piece of advice - it is on the outskirts and you need to afrrive 15-20 minutes early so allow at least 30 minutes if coming by taxi" See review
- "Recommend this experience for anyone interested in JAPANESE culture, We had a great time and want to repeat again in the future but ONLY with this school!" See review