St. Anne's Church
St. Anne's was built in 1501 atop the ruins of an earlier wooden church, and remains one of the Old Town's more popular landmarks. Napoleon Bonaparte reportedly loved the quaint worship space (though his troops destroyed its stained glass windows), and today it remains one of the city's oldest Gothic buildings. You can stop by St. Anne's Church on a walking tour or bike tour of the Old Town, and visit the plaza across from the church to enjoy a great vantage point on the intricately patterned, red-brick exterior.
Things to know before you go
- Architecture fans appreciate the church's late-Gothic design details like flying buttresses, gargoyles, and grand vaulted ceilings.
- Dress respectfully if you visit during mass, as the church is an active worship space.
- Travelers report that the church is wheelchair accessible.
How to get there
The most convenient way to visit St. Anne's Church is on an Old Town walking tour or city sightseeing tour. Group tours offer a great value, while private tours deliver the most flexibility and customizable itineraries. Panoramic walking tours, ghost tours, and even multi-day excursions are all options—since St. Anne's is a top Old Town attraction—though independent travelers can hop on the city bus. Several lines stop nearby.
When to get there
Mass is typically held at St. Anne's Church seven days a week; weekday mass is held in the evenings, and Sunday mass is held in late morning or early afternoon. If you don't want to attend mass, you can stop by anytime to enjoy the building's exterior, and avoid crowds by skipping a Sunday visit.
Exploring the Uzupis District
Just across the Vilna River from St. Anne's Church, visitors will find the bohemian enclave of Uzupis. Walk over the Bridge of Uzupis to visit the area's galleries, arts spaces, and historic sights like the Old Jewish Cemetery. The district declared independence from Vilnius in 1997, making it officially the Republic of Uzupis. Plan to visit on the district's Independence Day (April 1) for a quirky experience.
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Transylvania
- Amber Museum-Gallery (Gintaro Muziejus-Galerija)
- Vilnius Cathedral (Arkikatedra Bazilika)
- Gediminas Castle Tower (Gedimino Pilies Bokstas)
- Vilnius University (Vilniaus Universitetas)
- Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania (National Museum)
- Presidential Palace
- National Museum of Lithuania, New Arsenal
- Money Museum (Pinigu Muziejaus)
- Vilnil Museum of Illusions
- Bastion of the Vilnius Defensive Wall (Vilniaus Gynybines Sienos Basteja)
- Church of the Holy Spirit (Sventosios Dvasios Baznycia)
- Gate of Dawn (Ausros Vartai)
- Subacius Hill
- Vilnius Old Town (Vilniaus Senamiestis)