La Fenice Opera House (Teatro La Fenice)
La Fenice has a rather understated facade that belies the opulence within, and it’s an impressive sight whether or not you’re a fan of opera or ballet. A tour of this famous opera house is a must for any music lover, so consider joining a walking tour of Venice’s highlights that includes a stop at the theater to learn first-hand about its fascinating history and architecture. Of course, you can also soak in the elegant atmosphere by enjoying a concert, ballet, or opera during the performance season.
Recent reviews from experiences in Venice
Things to Know Before You Go
Purchase performance tickets in advance to ensure a seat.
The theater boxes and gallery are accessible to wheelchairs.
The dress code for opening or gala performances is semi-formal; regular performances is smart casual. Shorts or sleeveless t-shirts are not allowed.
Photographs are allowed during theater tours but not performances.
There is a cloakroom where large bags, umbrellas, and cameras must be left during performances.
How to Get There
Teatro La Fenice is located on the Campo San Fantin square in the heart of Venice. Take Vaporetto (public ferry) line 1 or 2 to the Rialto stop; from there, it’s a short walk to the theater.
When to Get There
Performances at the Teatro La Fenice run year-round. The theater is open for tours daily, though opening times may vary when there’s a rehearsal or performance scheduled.
The Rise of the Phoenix
The theater’s name, La Fenice—or “The Phoenix”—pays tribute to an earlier theater, owned by the same company, that burned down. Unfortunately, the name proved prescient—La Fenice burned down twice, first in 1836 and again in 1996. Both times, though, it was rebuilt.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Bovolo Staircase (Scala Contarini del Bovolo)
- Church of Santa Maria del Giglio (Santa Maria Zobenigo)
- Venice Music Museum (Museo della Musica)
- Campo San Luca
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)
- St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)
- Hard Rock Cafe Venice
- St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco)
- Correr Museum (Museo Correr)
- Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute
- Church of San Vidal (Chiesa di San Vidal)
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection (Collezione Peggy Guggenheim)
- Bridge of Sighs
- San Marco Chamber Orchestra (Virtuosi di Venezia)