Santa Caterina Church (Chiesa di Santa Caterina)
Set near the main Corso Umberto I in the heart of Taormina’s old town, this church dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria has a spartan exterior that gives way to lavish internal stucco work, restored in the 1970s. It was during this restoration that some of the ruins underneath the modern church were unearthed and can now be visited. Join a walking or Segway tour of Taormina’s historic center to best interpret the various architectural styles and archaeological remains, along with other town highlights like the Greek Theater and Duomo. Visit Taormina on a day trip or shore excursion from Syracuse, Messina, or Catania—along with the nearby town of Castelmola and Mount Etna.
Things to know before you go
- The church is accessible to wheelchairs, but the crypt and Roman Odeon are not.
- Wear a hat and sunscreen when touring Taormina’s historic center, as you will be spending a significant amount of time outdoors.
- Modest clothing covering shoulders and knees is required to visit Sicilian churches.
How to get there
The Santa Caterina church is located on Largo Caterina just off Corso Umberto I in Taormina’s historic center. Trains stop beneath the town along the coastline, and buses run between the station and the center above.
When to get there
During the hottest midday hours in summer, Taormina can be unpleasant to tour. Visit first thing in the morning or in the late afternoon, and tuck into the town’s cool churches to beat the heat during the day.
Santa Caterina in Stone
The church is home to two important sculptural renderings of St. Catherine of Alexandria: one placed in an external niche above the church’s central portal by Paolo Greek in 1705; and a second inside the church dating from 1493 and previously displayed preserved in the ancient Church of St. Catherine outside the walls, later a Capuchin church.
- Things to do in Sicily
- Things to do in Catania
- Things to do in Messina
- Things to do in Syracuse
- Things to do in Agrigento
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Mellieha
- Things to do in Valletta
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Taormina Roman Odeon
- Corso Umberto I
- Taormina Old Town (Centro Storico)
- Piazza IX Aprile
- Corvaja Palace (Palazzo Corvaja)
- Taormina Greek Theatre (Teatro Greco)
- Taormina Cathedral (Duomo) and Piazza del Duomo
- Taormina Piazza Duomo
- Villa Comunale
- Taormina Cable Car (Funivia)
- Mazzarò Beach (Lido Mazzarò)
- Taormina Cruise Port (Taormina Terminal Crociere)
- Alcantara Gorges (Gole dell'Alcantara)
- Circumetnea Railway (Ferrovia Circumetnea)