The Anna Akhmatova Museum
Visitors can follow in the footsteps of the 20th-century poet, peek into the study where she wrote masterpieces such as Poem Without a Hero, and admire artifacts including letters, mementos, and personal effects at the museum. Visiting with a guide can help you get the most out of the exhibits, while your admission ticket to the The Anna Akhmatova Museum also includes entrance to the nearby Joseph Brodsky American Study.
Things to Know Before You Go
Information panels are provided in both Russian and English throughout the museum.
Audio guides are available in several languages, including English.
The museum is not wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The Anna Akhmatova Museum is located along the Fontanka River, opposite the Fabergé Museum. However, the entrance is on Liteyny Avenue and it's not possible to enter through the main palace entrance on the riverfront.
When to Get There
The Anna Akhmatova Museum is open daily, except Mondays and Wednesday mornings. Although small, it rarely gets too crowded, so you needn't worry about stopping by at an inopportune time.
Acclaimed for her emotional poems that offered insight into life in Stalinist and World War II Russia—including the famous Requiem—Anna Akhmatova is remembered as one of the most important poets of 20th-century Russia and was twice-nominated for the Nobel Prize. She lived in the Fountain House, which belonged to her late husband, art historian Nikolai Punin, until her death in 1966.
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Catherine Palace and Park
- State Hermitage Museum
- St. Petersburg Palace Square (Dvortsovaya Ploshchad)
- St. Petersburg Cruise Port
- Tsarskoe Selo State Museum and Heritage Site
- Peterhof State Museum-Reserve (Muzeya-Zapovednika Peterhof)
- Peter and Paul Fortress (Petropavlovskaya Krepost)
- The Anna Akhmatova Museum