Alexander Nevsky Lavra Monastery
The Alexander Nevsky Lavra Monastery is one of only four lavra—the highest order of an Orthodox monastery—in Russia. As such, it features in many sightseeing tours around St. Petersburg. Admission to the grounds is free, but certain sections, like the cemeteries, charge a separate admission fee. Tickets can be purchased at a ticket desk just inside the arched entrance gate.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Alexander Nevsky Lavra Monastery is a must-visit for history buffs.
- Give yourself at least 1.5 hours to tour the complex, including the cemeteries.
- The monastery is an active place of worship, so remember to dress appropriately and keep your voice down.
- Cemetery maps are available from the ticket desk.
How to Get There
The Alexander Nevsky Monastery is accessible by taking the metro to Ploshchad Alexandra Nevskovo.
When to Get There
The monastery grounds are open daily from 6am to 8pm, while the cathedrals and churches are only open from Friday to Wednesday.
Cemetery of Masters of Art The Lazarus and Tikhvin Cemeteries, together known as the Cemetery of Masters of Art, serves as the final resting place for many of Russia’s greatest figures. As you’re touring the grounds, you might spot the graves of composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky, and Mikhail Lomonosov, known as the father of Russian science.*
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Dostoevsky Museum
- Planet Neptune Oceanarium
- The Anna Akhmatova Museum
- Fabergé Museum
- Anichkov Palace
- Smolny Cathedral (Smol'nyy Sobor)
- Nevsky Prospekt
- Monument to Catherine II (Pamyatnik Ekaterina II)
- Alexandrinsky Theatre
- Yusupov Palace (Yusupovsky Dvorets)
- Mikhailovsky Castle (St. Michael's Castle)
- Russian Museum of Ethnography
- State Memorial Museum of Leningrad Defense and Siege
- State Russian Museum (Russkiy Muzey)
- Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan (Kazansky Sobor)