The Admiralty building is one of St. Petersburg's oldest structures. It was built by Peter the Great and originally served as a dockyard. It once housed the Admiralty Board, which was in charge of ship building and eventually became part of the ministry of the navy. Some sections were built in the 1700s while other additions were constructed in the 1800s.
Unfortunately visitors today won't be able to see the building in its original state. Many of the statues were destroyed in 1860 when the Orthodox church declared them to be pagan. The building was also damaged during the blockade of Leningrad and was attacked by the Germans in World War II. The Admiralty building does still have lots of sculptures and reliefs to admire. There is also a 240 foot golden spire with its weather vane, a little ship, that sits on top of it and is one of the city's most recognizable landmarks. The original is in the Naval Museum, so the one you see here today is a replica. The building now houses the naval college.
The Admiralty building is located at 1, Admiralteyskiy Prospekt. The nearest metro station is Admiralteyskaya.
- St. Petersburg Palace Square (Dvortsovaya Ploshchad)
- State Hermitage Museum
- The General Staff Building
- Bronze Horseman
- Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera)
- St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor)
- Stroganov Palace (Stroganovsky Dvorets)
- Winter Palace of Peter the Great at the Hermitage
- The Republic of Cats Museum and Café
- Pushkin Museum
- The Menshikov Palace
- Menshikov Palace
- Russian Vodka Museum (Muzey Russkogo Natsional'nogo Napitka)
- Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan (Kazansky Sobor)
- Museum of Soviet Arcade Machines