Enter the natural preserve by following the steps leading to the peninsula from the Veli Varos neighborhood towards the Telegrin peak, where you can see Vis Island on a clear day. Bicycle to beaches and visit Church of St. George and the Institute of Oceanographic and Fisheries on the western slope. For ease, visit Marjan on a tour that includes Split’s most popular attractions; choices include a walking, hop-on hop-off bus, and bicycle tour.
Recent reviews from experiences in Split
Things to Know Before You Go
Marjan is suitable for solo travelers, couples, and families.
There is a small admission fee.
Explore the island by bicycle; rentals are at the peninsula entrance or arrange a bike tour.
The best beaches are at the foot of Marjan Hill and are easily reachable by bicycle.
Visit the cafe, with panoramic views, atop Telegrin peak.
How to Get There
Marjan is located on the west side of Split, a short walking distance from Diocletian's Palace and a 10- to 15-minute taxi ride from downtown Split.
When to Get There
Marjan and the greater Split area are popular tourist destinations in summer. The best time to visit Marjan is September and October when tourist crowds have gone and the Adriatic Sea is still warm enough for a swim.
Meštrović Gallery and Kastelet
Once the palace home of the great Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović, Meštrović Gallery is a now a museum dedicated to his most famous works. The permanent collection features his drawings, furniture, original plaster models, and works in bronze, marble, and wood. Don’t miss Kastelet, a Renaissance-style summer house on the gallery property that Meštrović created as a showcase for his “Life of Christ Cycle” reliefs.
- Things to do in Dalmatia
- Things to do in Hvar
- Things to do in Šibenik
- Things to do in Makarska
- Things to do in Zadar
- Things to do in Visoko
- Things to do in Sarajevo
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Mestrovic Gallery (Galerija Mestrovic)
- Poljud Stadium (Stadion Poljud)
- Bene Beach
- Split Archaeological Museum (Arheoloski Muzej Split)
- Republic Square (Prokurative)
- Fruit's Square (Trg Brace Radic)
- Riva Promenade (Riva Split Waterfront)
- Temple of Jupiter
- Gates of Diocletian's Palace
- Gregory of Nin (Grgur Ninski)
- Peristyle Square (Peristil)
- Diocletian's Palace
- Cathedral of St. Dominus (Katedrala Svetog Duje)
- Split Ethnographic Museum (Etnografski Muzej Split)