Municipal Market (Mercado Municipal de Sao Paulo)
Situated in a vast but lovely neoclassical structure dating back to 1933, the Mercado Municipal de Sao Paulo—known colloquially as the Mercadão—houses hundreds of stalls selling fresh fish, exotic fruits, and every other edible delectable you can imagine.
No trip to Sao Paulo would be complete without a visit to this vibrant market, both to sample its food and to admire the impressive belle epoque architecture and stained glass windows that highlight food production in Brazil. Many vendors offer free samples of their products, allowing shoppers to taste before they buy. Many food tours of the city include a visit to the market, including specialized Mercado Municipal tasting tours that allow visitors to learn about (and taste) ingredients with a local chef.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Mercado Municipal is a must-visit for foodies and first time visitors.
- Bring some local currency in small denominations if you plan to shop; some vendors do accept credit cards.
- The market is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
To reach the market by public transportation, take the subway to Luz or Sao Bento Station. Bicycle and car parking is also available.
When to Get There
The market can get exceptionally busy on weekends, so plan your visit for a weekday around lunchtime if possible. The market is open daily, with shorter hours on Sundays.
What to Buy at Mercado Municipal
All variety of foodstuffs are on offer at this municipal market, but a few items are worth keeping an eye out for. A stroll through the market offers an excellent opportunity to sample exotic fruits from around Brazil, and it’s also known for its bacalhau (salted codfish) and Italian mortadella (best eaten in sandwich form).
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Hopi Hari
- Wet 'n’ Wild Water Park
- Itatiba Zoo (Zooparque Itatiba)
- Serra Negra Cable Car (Teleférico Serra Negra)
- Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) of Serra Negra
- Thermas Hot World
- Ski Mountain Park
- Pedra Grande
- Cantareira State Park (Parque Estadual da Cantareira)
- Allianz Parque
- Latin America Memorial (Memorial da América Latina)
- Sunset Square (Praça Por do Sol)
- Estádio Municipal Paulo Machado de Carvalho (Pacaembu Stadium)
- Sao Paulo Museum of Sacred Art (Museu de Arte Sacra)
- Estaçao Pinacoteca (Pina_Estaçao)