Liberdade (Bairro da Liberdade)
Marked by the 30-foot (9-meter) red Torii (Japanese Shinto arch) on Rua Galvão Bueno and lined with Japanese-style street lamps, Liberdade offers a similar feel to other little Tokyo’s around the globe. Its streets are filled with vendors and shops selling all varieties of Japanese and Asian goods including food, clothes, bags, shoes, and anime items. On weekends, the Liberdade Street Market is an especially good place to find Asian handicrafts and goods. Many city sightseeing tours include the neighborhood in their itineraries, but if you’d like to spend more time exploring the area, opt for a private tour.
Things to know before you go
- Bring your camera for a photo-op at the red torii, which serves as an entrance to the neighborhood.
- While the neighborhood is best known for its Japanese population, many Korean and Chinese immigrants have settled here as well.
- Be aware of your surroundings while visiting Liberdade, as pickpockets can be a problem; leave valuables at your hotel.
How to get there
Liberdade can easily be reached by subway via the Liberdade station on Blue Line 1. If you’re visiting after dark, consider taking a taxi instead.
When to get there
Liberdade is lively just about every day of the week, but it’s at its best on weekends, during the Liberdade Street Market, which kicks off in the morning and wraps up in the early evening. Visit around a meal time to enjoy some of the city’s best Japanese cuisine.
History Museum of Japanese Immigration to Brazil
The Museu Histórico da Imigração Japonesa no Brasil (History Museum of Japanese Immigration to Brazil) is the world’s largest museum on Japanese immigration. Visitors to the collection can learn more about the history of Sao Paulo’s Japanese community through a series of historic photographs and documents, books, films, paintings, and household items.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Sé Cathedral (Catedral da Sé)
- Pateo do Collegio Church
- Farol Santander (Banespa Tower)
- Monastery of Sao Bento (Mosteiro de Sao Bento)
- Italian Building
- Republic Square (Praça da República)
- Sao Paulo Municipal Theater (Theatro Municipal)
- Martinelli Building (Edifício Martinelli)
- Paulista Avenue (Avenida Paulista)
- Sao Paulo Museum of Art (MASP)
- Estaçao Pinacoteca (Pina_Estaçao)
- Art Gallery of the State of Sao Paulo (Pinacoteca do Estado de Sao Paulo)
- Immigration Museum of the State of São Paulo (Museu da Imigração)
- Sao Paulo Museum of Sacred Art (Museu de Arte Sacra)
- Sao Paulo Football Museum (Museu do Futebol)