The archaeological ruins of ancient Rome include some of the most iconic sights in Italy, and they’re visited by millions of tourists each year. Long entrance lines are common at the Colosseum and the Roman Forum (especially in summer), so consider booking a guided tour or skip-the-line access in advance. A half-day tour with a small group can cover most of the sites on the Palatine Hill, while a private Colosseum tour offering evening access is an excellent way to enjoy the ancient amphitheater without the crowds. For a unique experience, consider booking a Colosseum underground tour to understand the inner workings of this iconic stadium.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rome
Things to Know Before You Go
A family-friendly group tour with an expert guide is a great way to make these important sites come alive for kids.
Most of the archaeological sites and monuments dating from ancient Rome are open air, so be sure to wear a hat and suitable clothing.
The Colosseum and other Ancient Roman sites are accessible to wheelchairs.
How to Get There
The most famous ruins of Ancient Rome are concentrated on Palatine Hill, and they can be reached from the Colosseo station on Line B of the city’s underground metro system, which also stops at the main Termini train station.
When to Get There
The sights of Ancient Rome are most crowded at midday, so consider scheduling your Rome tour around a visit in the early morning or late afternoon. Summer is the busiest season, when skip-the-line tickets or a private tour guide are essential; the sites are less crowded during winter.
Discovering the Circus Maximus
The newly excavated and restored remains of the Circus Maximus, ancient Rome's largest stadium, offer a fascinating look into Roman life. The site of chariot races and other sports and entertainment for almost 1,000 years, this immense venue could hold up to 150,000 spectators.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Trajan's Column (Colonna di Traiano)
- Santi Cosma e Damiano Church (Chiesa dei Santi Cosma e Damiano)
- Temple of Caesar (Tempio di Cesare)
- House of the Vestal Virgins (Casa delle Vestali)
- Roman Forum (Foro Romano)
- Basilica di Santa Francesca Romana
- Trajan's Market (Mercati di Traiano)
- Arch of Titus (Arco di Tito)
- Piazza del Campidoglio
- Capitoline Hill and Museums (Campidoglio e Musei Capitolini)
- Domus Romane of Palazzo Valentini (Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini)
- Piazza Venezia
- House of Livia (Casa di Livia)
- Vittoriano Museum Complex (Complesso del Museo Vittoriano)
- Vittorio Emmanuele II Monument (Vittoriano)