Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church (Igreja Sao Francisco da Penitencia)
Given its small size, Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church does not take long to visit, so it is easy to stop by while exploring downtown Rio de Janeiro. If you’d like to visit with a guided tour, look for downtown walking tours focused on Rio’s historic attractions; these tours typically also include stops at the nearby Theatro Municipal and Monastery Church of Santo Antonio. You can also visit on a customized private tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church is a must-visit for those with an interest in architecture and religious history.
There is a small admission fee.
Next door, the Convento de Santo Antonio contains the chapel of Nossa Senhora das Dores da Imaculada Conceicao.
A garden on the grounds leads to the catacombs, used until 1850. Visits must be arranged in advance.
How to Get There
The church is located in Rio’s downtown Centro district within walking distance of many other attractions, including the Metropolitan Cathedral and the Carioca Aqueduct. The nearest Metro station is Sete de Setembro (Line 1), a short walk away.
When to Get There
The Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church is open Tuesday through Friday, from 9am to 4pm. To enjoy the interiors in relative peace, try to come soon after opening.
The Dazzling Interiors
Critics say that the opulent church runs contrary to the beliefs of its namesake, since Saint Francis of Assisi would never have commissioned a church that’s drizzled in gold. Regardless of historical accuracy, however, the fact remains this historic church is a brilliant sight to behold, from the altar made of jacaranda to the blue tiles, specifically imported from Portugal, that line the chapel vestibules.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Santa Teresa (Barrio Santa Teresa)
- Rio de Janeiro National Fine Arts Museum (Museu Nacional de Belas Artes)
- Saara Shopping District (Polo Saara)
- Rio de Janeiro Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana de Sao Sebastiao)
- National Library of Brasil (Biblioteca Nacional do Brasil)
- Floriano Peixoto Square (Cinelandia)
- Rio Scenarium
- Rio de Janeiro Municipal Theater (Theatro Municipal)
- Tiradentes Palace (Palácio Tiradentes)
- La Candelaria Church (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria)
- Post Office Cultural Center (Centro Cultural Correios)
- Bank of Brazil Cultural Center (Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil)
- Lapa Neighborhood
- Praca Quinze de Novembro
- Casa Franca-Brasil