Santa Teresa (Barrio Santa Teresa)
Santa Teresa is one of only a few neighborhoods in Rio that’s retained its colonial charm. The neighborhood can be a bit difficult to navigate, especially for first-timers, so it’s a good idea to visit with a guide.
Walking tours of the barrio typically provide a more intimate glimpse into the area’s belle époque mansions, art studios, and street art. These tours almost always stop at Ruins Park for views over the city, as well as the colorful Selarón Staircase, where Pharrel Williams and Snoop Dogg filmed a music video.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rio de Janeiro
Things to know before you go
- Thanks to its rich history, colorful architecture, and art scene, Santa Teresa is a must-visit Rio de Janeiro attraction.
- Wear sturdy shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces, as many of the streets are cobblestone.
- An abundance of steps means that Santa Teresa is difficult to explore for travelers with reduced mobility.
How to get there
By taxi, Santa Teresa is five minutes from downtown Rio and 15 minutes from Ipanema and Copacabana. The best way to get to the neighborhood is to ride the bonde, a historic streetcar, from Centro to Largo do Guimarães.
When to get there
If you can time your visit to June or July, you might overlap with a weekend arts festival called Arte de Portas Abertas, which features live music, jazz performances, art, and food stands held in the open air.
One of the most recognizable symbols of Santa Teresa is the colorful ceramic steps, created by Chilean artist Jorge Selarón between 1990 and 2013. The 125-step staircase features mosaics in the colors of the Brazilian flag, which comprise 2,000 tiles sourced from more than 60 different countries. The steps are one of the most-photographed attractions in the entire city.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Rio de Janeiro Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana de Sao Sebastiao)
- Floriano Peixoto Square (Cinelandia)
- National Library of Brasil (Biblioteca Nacional do Brasil)
- Rio de Janeiro Municipal Theater (Theatro Municipal)
- Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church (Igreja Sao Francisco da Penitencia)
- Rio de Janeiro National Fine Arts Museum (Museu Nacional de Belas Artes)
- Lapa Neighborhood
- Rio Scenarium
- Saara Shopping District (Polo Saara)
- Tiradentes Palace (Palácio Tiradentes)
- Ruins Park (Parque das Ruínas)
- Chacara do Ceu Museum
- Flamengo Park (Aterro do Flamengo)
- Glória Marina (Marina da Glória)
- La Candelaria Church (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria)