Riga Castle (Rigas Pils)
Riga Castle has undergone many mutations throughout its centuries of shifting ownership. Today it consists of four stories and a rectangular courtyard, with four rectangular towers on its corners and two rounded towers added during the 15th century. Although you cannot go inside the castle, guided sightseeing tours of Riga, including shore excursions, typically include a visit to view its exteriors.
Things to Know Before You Go
Riga Castle will appeal to visitors interested in history and architecture.
One of the best views of the castle is from Kipsala, on the other side of the river.
The castle is one of the most historically significant buildings in Latvia.
How to Get There
Riga Castle is centrally located and within easy walking distance of many hotels and other attractions, including the Three Brothers building complex and the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia. The nearest tram stop is National Theater (served by lines 5, 7, 9, and 11), a 3-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The exteriors of Riga Castle can be visited at any time. The castle’s picturesque riverside setting makes it particularly attractive at sunrise and during the winter when the river ices over.
Latvian National Museums
Riga Castle was home to the Latvian National Museum of Art and the National History Museum of Latvia until a fire damaged the structure in 2013. Restoration of Riga Castle is underway, and both museums will return when work is complete.
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Riga Cathedral (Rigas Doms)
- Swedish Gate (Zviedru Varti)
- Jauniela Street (Jauniela Iela)
- Small Guild (Maza Gilde)
- Riga Old Town (Vecriga)
- Riga Town Hall Square (Ratslaukums)
- House of the Blackheads (Melngalvju Nams)
- St Peter's Church
- Latvian National Opera (Latvijas Nacionala Opera un Balets)
- Albert Street (Alberta Iela)
- Riga Art Nouveau Museum (Jugendstila Muzejs)
- Classic Car Museum (Retro-Auto Muzejs)