Saint Elmo’s Castle (Castel Sant'Elmo)
The views alone make it worth the climb to Saint Elmo's Castle. Explore this fortress, which was first built in the 14th century and then updated in the 16th century, and visit the chapel and on-site museum. After taking in the views, enjoy a scenic walk (or a quick funicular ride) back to the city center.
This attraction is a top Naples destination, so you’ll want to pre-book admission to take advantage of skip-the-line entry. You can also enjoy entry free of charge with the Campania Arte Card. Many tours of Naples (including some food tours) include a stop at Saint Elmo’s Castle.
Things to Know Before You Go
Don't forget your camera; you'll want to snap photos of the panoramic views.
The castle offers coin-operated binoculars, restrooms, and an art musuem.
Travelers report that the exterior walkways are wheelchair accessible, though reaching the castle may be challenging.
How to Get There
The most convenient ways to reach Saint Elmo’s Castle are to walk or take the funicular: Take the F2 funicular line to the Morghen stop, which is located just steps from the castle.
When to Get There
The castle is open daily. For views all the way to Capri, plan to visit when the sun in shining and the sky is clear. For the best value, visit on Tuesdays, when the castle offers discounted admission, or during one of the free admission days, including Father's Day and Cultural Diversity Day.
Where to Experience Art at the Castle
After you explore Saint Elmo's Castle and enjoy the spectacular views across Naples, don't miss the chance to take in the contemporary arts exhibitions at the on-site Museo Novecento Napoletano. The museum’s intimate gallery spaces house a collection of 20th century Italian art as well as works by notable artists such as Vincenzo Gemito.
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia
- Charterhouse and Museum of San Martino (Certosa e Museo di San Martino)
- Spanish Quarter (Quartieri Spagnoli)
- Central Funicular (Funicolare Centrale)
- Via Toledo
- Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
- Galleria Umberto I
- Piazza Trieste e Trento
- Royal Palace of Naples (Palazzo Reale)
- Gesú Nuovo Church (Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo)
- Piazza del Plebiscito
- Piazza del Gesù Nuovo
- San Carlo Opera House (Teatro di San Carlo)
- Basilica of San Francesco di Paola (Basilica di San Francesco di Paola)
- Naples Historic Center (Napoli Centro Storico)
- Church and Monastery of Santa Chiara (Chiesa e Monastero di Santa Chiara)
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples