With three days in UNESCO-listed Lyon, you have plenty of time to experience the city’s history, cuisine, and surrounding vineyards. Cross the Saône and Rhône rivers, step into the cathedral, taste world-renowned wine, and more. Here’s how to make the most of 72 hours in Lyon.
Célestins Theatre (Théâtre des Célestins)
4 Rue Charles Dullin, Lyon, France, 69002
Célestins Theatre is a time capsule of sorts, since it showcases its original 1881 neoclassical architecture and still operates as a fully functioning theater space. Visitors should check the calendar to attend a performance at one of its two auditoriums, or stop by the public bar for a drink while wandering Lyon's 2nd arrondissement. City sightseeing tours typically pass near the theater, and visit nearby Place Bellecour, a grand public square.
Vieux Lyon Cultural & Historical Walking Guided Tour (English)
$3.18 per adult
A must do Tour as you arrive in Lyon
The tour was very enjoyable and informative and Paul the tour very informative and also had a good sense of humor. Highly recommended
Davini_F, Jul 2022
Things to know before you go
- Buy a Lyon Card in advance to secure discounted tickets, and free or reduced admission at numerous cultural instructions.
- Arts aficionados should check the calendar for ticket prices or purchase multi-show passes to enjoy several performances.
- Visitors aged 25 and younger enjoy a discount on admission tickets.
- For a deal, try buying rush tickets, which are available at a significant discount 15 minutes before each performance.
How to get there
Visitors will find the Célestins Theatre on 4 rue Charles Dullin, in Lyon's 2nd arrondissement. If you're not on a tour, plan to arrive by metro. Hop on the A or D line to Bellecour. From there, it's four short blocks to the theater. Your other option is to take the bus, since several lines stop nearby—including the C3, C5, C9, C10, C12, C13, and C20—among others.
When to get there
If you're going to a show, plan to arrive early for a drink at the theater's lovely bar, adorned with stucco reliefs, or for dinner at the theater's in-house restaurant. The bar is open one hour before and after each performance. For a behind-the-scenes tour of the theater, arrive on Saturday, but check the calendar—tours are held once a month, and charge a small fee.
Wandering the streets of Old Lyon
Take a short walk from Célestins Theatre over the Bonaparte Bridge (Pont Bonaparte) and you’ll arrive at Quai Romain Rolland, a waterfront promenade bordering Old Lyon. Stroll through the cobblestoned streets of this historic area and enjoy the Renaissance buildings, Gothic churches, and the collonaded Palace of Justice. If there's any place worth letting your feet lead the way, it's Old Lyon, one of the most picturesque neighborhoods in the city.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Célestins Theatre (Théâtre des Célestins)?
Attractions near Célestins Theatre (Théâtre des Célestins):
What else should I know about attractions in Lyon?
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Bellecour Square (Place Bellecour)
- Lyon Palace of Justice (Palais de Justice Historique de Lyon)
- Lyon Cathedral (Cathédrale St-Jean)
- Musée Miniature et Cinéma
- Old Lyon (Vieux Lyon)
- Lyon Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux Arts de Lyon)
- Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière (Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourvière)
- Ancient Theatre of Fourvière (Théâtre Antique de Lyon)
- Lyon Les Halles Market (Les Halles Paul Bocuse)
- Lyon Opera House (Opéra National de Lyon)
- Tête d'Or Park (Parc de la Tête d'Or)
- Lyon Museum of Contemporary Art (Musée d'art Contemporain de Lyon)
- Lumière Institute (Institut Lumière)
- Resistance and Deportation History Centre (Centre d'Histoire de la Résistance et de la Déportation)