Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
A visit to Ljubljana’s Town Hall is included in most sightseeing tours of Old Town along with other popular sights like the Dragon Bridge and Preseren Square. Combine a walking tour with a funicular ride to the Ljubljana Castle for sweeping views of the city or a boat cruise down the Ljubljanica River and see Ljubljana’s famous bridges from the water. The interior of the Town Hall features several exhibits and guided tours are available.
Things to know before you go
- Ljubljana’s Town Hall is a must-see for architecture enthusiasts and history buffs.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes; Old Town streets are cobbled and uneven.
- Old Town is wheelchair accessible and the Slovenian Tourist Information Centre rents electric wheelchairs free of charge.
How to get there
Find the Ljubljana Town Hall in the Town Square at the base of Castle Hill within a 5-minute walk of the Dragon Bridge. Much of Ljubljana Old Town is a car-free zone so plan on parking outside the city and exploring on foot or by bike. The city’s Urban electric train connects the Town Hall with many of the city’s top tourist attractions.
When to get there
Ljubljana’s Town Hall is open Monday through Friday with free tours offered Saturday afternoons. Ljubljana is a delight to visit any time of year. With consistent weather and festivals and markets galore, summer is the most popular season to visit Ljubljana. To avoid the crowds and still enjoy pleasant weather, visit in May or September. The holidays are also a popular time to visit when Old Town is aglow with holiday lights and festive Christmas markets filling the streets.
Ljubljana Town Hall Architecture
Originally built in the Gothic style in the 15th century, the Town Hall was extensively renovated during the 18th century is now one of the most impressive examples of Ljubljana’s baroque-style architecture. Highlights include a 17th-century statue of Hercules in the lobby, Robba's Narcissus Fountain in the hall’s courtyard, and a monument to a former mayor of Ljubljana. Don’t miss a replica of the baroque Robba Fountain featuring ornate carvings of the river gods in front of the Town Hall.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Ljubljanica River
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Museum of Illusions
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)
- Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom)
- Dragon Bridge