Ljubljana Museum of Architecture and Design (MAO)
The museum offers daily tours and educational programs for children and groups including walking tours of architecture in Ljubljana. Visitors can tour the museum’s exhibits on old and modern Slovene architecture, industrial design, photography, and town planning and browse the museum library’s vast collections. In addition to exhibitions, the castle courtyards feature live concerts and cultural events during the summer months.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A must-see for European architecture and history lovers.
- A small admission fee is required to visit the museum.
- The museum cafe features 20th century Slovene furniture as well as local pastries and coffee.
- Much of the museum is wheelchair accessible and museum admission is free for disabled visitors.
How to Get There
The Architecture Museum of Ljubljana is located 3.7 miles (6 kilometers) east of the center of Old Town Ljubljana in the Fuzine district. To get there, take bus 20 or 22 from the city center to the Fužine P+R stop. The museum is also easily reached by car, bike, or taxi from central Ljubljana and free parking is available near the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 6pm. The museum is closed on select public holidays and when exhibitions are being set up so call ahead to avoid disappointment. Admission to the museum is free the first Sunday of each month.
Ple?nik House in Ljubljana If you’re intrigued by the works of Jože Ple?nik, a visit to the architect's home in central Ljubljana is a must. At Ple?nik House, you can see his home just as he left it complete with his original furniture, drawing tools, personal belongings, and a large archive of sketches, plans, and models from his famous creations as well as buildings that never got to be built.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Dragon Bridge
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Ljubljanica River
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)