Things to Do in Lisbon This Winter
Winter in Lisbon means cool but not cold temperatures and mostly dry days, plus the benefit of far fewer crowds and a scattering of festive events. Longer nights and earlier sunsets also make winter the perfect season to explore Lisbon by night. Here’s how best to enjoy the cooler months in Portugal’s capital.
- Take advantage of longer nights on an evening walking tour to learn about the city’s history and enjoy its landmarks illuminated by night.
- Spend the day exploring the medieval town of Obidos, which hosts Christmas markets during the holiday season.
- Conquer Lisbon’s seven hills without breaking a sweat on an electric-bike tour that takes you to the city’s best vantage points.
- Eat your fill of Portuguese cuisine on a food tour that focuses on local markets, cheese, and charcuterie.
- Soar over Lisbon’s Atlantic coastline and take in Cabo da Roca, Europe’s westernmost point, during a scenic helicopter flight.
- Enjoy the year’s best waves while still keeping warm in a wetsuit during a surfing lesson.
- Explore the best of Portuguese culture with a fado show and wine-tasting tour of Lisbon’s cozy, century-old cellars.
- Delve deeper into the religious history of Portugal on an excursion to the pilgrimage site of Fátima, combined with relaxation at the nearby seaside resort of Nazaré.