Castle of the Moors (Castelo dos Mouros)
No Sintra tour is complete without a stop at the Castle of the Moors(Castelo dos Mouros). Built upon the area’s highest hill, the edifice has seen many inhabitants—from the Moors to the Vikings to the nobility of Portugal and even a local Jewish community—throughout its 1,300-year existence. Take a full-day tour from Lisbon and visit the castle as well as Pena National Palace (Palácio Nacional da Pena), Sintra National Palace (Palácio Nacional Sintra), and Quinta da Regaleira to learn about the area’s fascinating history.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Castle of the Moors(Castelo dos Mouros) is a must-visit for history buffs.
Book skip-the-line tickets to save time at entry.
Be prepared for a lot of walking up steep stairs upon the stabilized ruins.
If hiking to the castle, bring comfortable and sturdy shoes, water, and sun protection.
The castle is not accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The Castle of the Moors(Castelo dos Mouros) is about 18.5 miles (30 kilometers) northwest of Lisbon. Take the Sintra train line and then the Sintra-Pena tourist bus 434 straight to the castle. There are also three hiking trails from the Sintra area to the castle, ranging from 45-minute to 1.5-hour walks.
When to Get There
The castle is open daily from 9:30am to 8pm during the summer season and 10am to 6pm during the winter season. Last admission is one hour before closing. Visit early in the day during the summer to avoid the heat.
A Castle Worth the Hike
When visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sintra, it’s impossible to miss the Castle of the Moors(Castelo dos Mouros). Built upon a 1,312-foot-high (400-meter) hill, this medieval stone castle offers some of the best views of Sintra, with Pena National Palace on one side and the Sintra National Palace on the other. The steep hike is well worth the amazing views, and on a clear day, you can even spot the Atlantic Ocean from the King’s Tower.
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Sintra National Palace (Palácio Nacional de Sintra)
- Chalet and Garden of the Countess D'Edla (Chalet e Jardim da Condessa D'Edla)
- Monserrate Palace (Palacio de Monserrate)
- Cabo da Roca
- National Palace of Queluz
- Vasco da Gama Aquarium (Aquário Vasco da Gama)
- National Palace of Mafra (Palácio Nacional de Mafra)
- Benfica Museum (Museu Benfica - Cosme Damiao)
- Estádio da Luz
- Belém Tower (Torre de Belém)
- Berardo Collection Museum (Museu Colecao Berardo)
- Lisbon Maritime Museum (Museu de Marinha)
- National Archaeology Museum (Museu Nacional de Arqueologia)