The colorful Alfama neighborhood is a highlight of any Lisbon sightseeing tour, and the maze-like quarter is best explored on a walking tour. For an even more unforgettable experience, ride the famous Tram 28 up the hill, zip around on a Segway tour, take in the views from afar on a Tagus River cruise, or attend an evening fado show with dinner.
Recent reviews from experiences in Lisbon
Things to Know Before You Go
Wear comfortable shoes, as steep sidewalks and cobblestone lanes are the norm in the Alfama district.
Getting around Alfama can be tricky for wheelchair users, so it’s best to book a taxi or join a tour.
How to Get There
The Alfama district is located around 2 miles (3 kilometers) south of downtown Lisbon, on the Tagus riverside. The easiest way to get there is to catch the No. 28 tram from Martim Moniz Square.
When to Get There
Alfama is a lively place to visit at any time of the day or night, but the most atmospheric time to explore is around sunset, when the district’s many bars, cafés, and fado restaurants spring to life. It can be busy during the summer months, so get an early start to avoid the crowds.
A Walking Tour of Alfama
Start your tour by riding Tram 28 up to the Miradouro da Graca, then walk down, stopping to admire the views from the Portas do Sol viewpoint, the Sao Jorge castle, and the National Pantheon. After browsing the stalls at the Feira da Ladra flea market, learn more about Portugal’s renowned folk music at the Fado Museum, and pay a visit to the Lisbon Cathedral, St. Anthony’s Church, and Sao Vicente de Fora church.
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Fado Museum (Museu do Fado)
- São Vicente de Fora Monastery
- José Saramago Foundation (Fundacao José Saramago)
- National Pantheon of Santa Engracia (Santa Egracia Panteao Nacional Lisbon)
- Lisbon Cathedral (Sé de Lisboa)
- Lisbon Military Museum (Museu Militar de Lisboa)
- Castelo de Sao Jorge (St. George's Castle)
- Miradouro da Graça
- The Escape Hunt Experience
- Lisboa Story Centre
- Commerce Square (Praça do Comércio)
- Arco do Triunfo (Arco da Rua Augusta)
- Tram 28
- Praça da Figueira
- Praça Martim Moniz