Izmir Clock Tower (Izmir Saat Kulesi)
Designed by the French-born, Izmir-based architect Raymond Charles Péré, the Izmir Clock Tower (once known as the Smyrna Clock Tower and sometimes called the Konak Clock Tower) is to Izmir as the Eiffel Tower is to Paris: a city icon and essential meeting point. Most Izmir city tours will include a stop on Konak Square to see the tower, and perhaps also Yali Mosque (also known as Konak Mosque) and the old governor’s mansion.
Recent reviews from experiences in Izmir
Things to know before you go
- It’s not possible to climb the Izmir Clock Tower.
- It’s easy to visit Konak Square with strollers and many kids will enjoy buying seeds and feeding the pigeons.
- Konak Square is flat, even, and wheelchair-accessible.
How to get there
Izmir Clock Tower stands in Konak Square (Konak Meydanı), at the very heart of Izmir. It’s a 2-minute walk from the Konak metro station (Line 3), 5 minutes from the ferries at Konak Pier, and 10 minutes from the popular Izmir Archaeology Museum.
When to get there
Both the square and the tower are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Twilight is a great choice for photographers as the sun sets over the ocean and night lighting gives the tower a rosy glow.
Izmir’s Other Must-See Sights
Formerly known as Smyrna, Izmir is Turkey’s third-largest city and the unofficial capital of the Turkish Riviera. Highlights include vibrant Kemeralti Market, the Kordonboyu waterfront promenade, hilltop Kadifekale citadel, known for its spectacular views, and the Agora Open Air Museum, one of the best-preserved Greco-Roman marketplaces in the world.
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Kos
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Sarigerme
- Things to do in Rhodes
- Things to do in Santorini
- Things to do in Athens
- Things to do in Alanya
- Things to do in Olympia
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Dodecanese
- Church of St. Polycarp
- Baths of Varius
- Izmir Archaeology Museum (Izmir Arkeoloji Muzesi)
- Izmir Ethnography Museum (Izmir Etnografya Muzesi)
- Izmir Cruise Port
- Agora Open Air Museum (Izmir Agora)
- Konak Square (Konak Meydani)
- Basilica of St. John
- Temple of Artemis (Artemision)
- Ephesus (Efes)
- Library of Celsus
- Public Latrine at Ephesus
- Temple of Hadrian at Ephesus
- Ephesus Terrace Houses