Tennis Palace (Tennispalatsi)
Located just across from Kamppi Shopping Center and Helsinki’s main bus station, the Tennis Palace can be visited on hop-on hop-off tours of the city that also include more distant attractions, such as Senate Square or the Sibelius Monument. Visit the functionalist building to enjoy the art museum—Helsinki Card holders enjoy free admission (as well as admission to other top city sites and unlimited use of the city’s transport system).
Things to Know Before You Go
You must pay separately to visit the various attractions within the Tennis Palace.
The Tennis Palace, Helsinki Art Museum, and Finnkino Tennispalatsi movie theater are all wheelchair and stroller accessible.
The cinema’s reasonable prices and ample legroom make it a favorite among locals.
How to Get There
The Tennis Palace is a short metro trip from Helsinki Central Station and a three-minute walk from Kamppi bus station. Hop-on hop-off bus tours also stop directly outside. There is a parking lot located beneath Kamppi Shopping Center.
When to Get There
The recreational space is ideal for a rainy day in downtown Helsinki. With a gallery, cinema, restaurants, and easy access to a major shopping mall, it’s an easy place to keep the whole family or group entertained for at least half a day. The Helsinki Art Museum is closed on Mondays.
Helsinki’s Olympic venues were originally built for the 1940 Olympics, which were canceled due to WWII, and later used for the 1952 Olympic games instead. The Tennis Palace is not the only venue from that time that is still in use: In the summer, you can join the locals at the popular open-air Swimming Stadium, and the Olympic Stadium, which continues to host sports matches and concerts, is one of the city’s major landmarks.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- HAM Helsinki Art Museum
- Amos Rex
- Parliament House of Finland (Eduskuntatalo)
- Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma
- Helsinki Music Centre (Musiikkitalo)
- Helsinki Central Station
- Rock Church (Temppeliaukio Kirkko)
- National Museum of Finland (Suomen Kansallismuseo)
- Helsinki Swedish Theatre
- Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
- Port of Helsinki
- Finlandia Hall (Finlandiatalo)
- Sinebrychoff Art Museum (Sinebrychoffin Taidemuseo)
- Design Museum (Designmuseo)
- Museum of Finnish Architecture