Sederholm House (Sederholmin Talo)
Explore the former home of Johan Sederholm, the richest merchant in Helsinki during the 1750s, at Sederholm House (or Sederholmon Talo. The two-story stone building with a mustard-colored roof dates from 1757 and at the time was the most luxurious house in the city. Today, it is part of the Helsinki City Museum that traces the history of the city and is home to an interactive children’s museum.
Apart from windows that were enlarged in 1866, Sederholm House remains as it was built in the mid 18th century. The house is used for special exhibitions and visitors can explore the interior where business was once done on the ground floor and the Sederholm family lived in the apartments on the floor above. The Helsinki City Museum has several other sites including the Tram Museum, the School Museum, and the Worker Housing Museum.
Things to know before you go
- Sederholm House is an interesting attraction for architecture buffs, history enthusiasts, and families seeking educational experiences.
- The house and children’s museum are accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
- Entry is free.
How to get there
Sederholm House is located at Aleksanterinkatu 16–18 in Helsinki. It is easily accessible by public transportation; take the tram to the Riddarhuset stop. Most visitors arrive on foot or via public transportation as parking is limited.
When to get there
Sederholm House is open every day of the week, but Saturday and Sunday have slightly shorter hours than weekdays. The most popular time of the year to visit Helsinki is during the summer months. Sidestep the crowds by visiting during the spring and fall shoulder seasons.
An exhibition just for children opened at Sederholm House in 2016. Kids can learn about history in this interactive space that includes old tools, a puppet theater, a reading corner, and toys from different periods throughout history. Summer workshops are also available with arts and crafts activities.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Helsinki City Museum
- Helsinki City Hall (Kaupungintalo)
- Market Square (Kauppatori)
- Café Ursula
- Helsinki Senate Square (Senaatintori)
- Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko)
- Flying Cinema Tour Of Helsinki
- Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
- Helsinki Swedish Theatre
- Port of Helsinki
- Museum of Finnish Architecture
- Helsinki Central Station
- Design Museum (Designmuseo)
- Military Museum of Finland
- Amos Rex