Dinosaurier Museum Altmühltal
This educational museum features a main building, housing skeletons and fossils, and a nearly mile- (1.5 km-) long forest trail that winds its way through areas dedicated to species from various eras, including the Paleozoic, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, and Cenozoic. Other features include a museum shop, play areas, and an activity hall with a make-believe fossil dig suitable for kids.
Things to Know Before You Go
Dinosaurier Museum Altmühltal is popular with families and people interested in paleontology.
There is a beer garden with food (including vegetarian and vegan options) on the forest trail.
Much of this museum is outdoors, so bring rain or snow gear if necessary.
Dogs are welcome but must be leashed at all times.
The park is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Dinosaurier Museum Altmühltal is located off the A9 freeway, between Nuremberg (roughly a 60-minute drive north) and Munich (about a 60-minute drive to the south). Travelers relying on public transportation can take a bus from the town of Ingolstadt (about 20 minutes away) or Kinding (about 10 minutes away).
When to Get There
The park is open daily all year round except for on Christmas and New Year's Eves and is busiest on weekends and during school holidays. Because many of the attractions are outdoors, it’s best to visit on a warm, clear day.
The Skeletons of Rocky and Dracula
The star attraction at the museum is its Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton named Rocky, which was the first teenager of its species to be unearthed. The museum's other celebrated skeleton, Dracula, is the biggest pterosaur found to date, measuring about 13 feet (four meters) when standing, with a total wingspan of 39.4 feet (12 meters).
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Veneto
- Ingolstadt Village
- Regensburg Old Town
- Regensburg Cathedral (St Peter Cathedral)
- Old Stone Bridge
- Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds
- German National Museum (Germanisches Nationalmuseum)
- St. Lorenz Lutheran Church
- Nuremberg Old Town (Altstadt)
- Schöner Brunnen
- Albrecht Dürer's House
- Imperial Castle of Nuremberg (Kaiserburg)
- Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
- Allianz Arena
- Olympic Tower