Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
As one of Amsterdam’s top attractions, the museum can get busy, so book your admission ticket in advance to avoid waiting in line; tickets usually include an audio guide, which deepers your knowledge and lets you browse at your own pace. Some multi-attraction packages can be personalized and allow you to combine the museum with unconventional attractions such as the Museum of Prostitution or the more traditional Rijksmuseum and Muiderslot Castle.
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum is a must for travelers interested in Amsterdam’s famous cannabis culture.
Be aware that the museum is purely informative; it’s only permitted to purchase and consume cannabis in licensed coffee shops.
The Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The museum is a few minute’s walk from Dam Square and just over ten minutes from Centraal Station on foot. Nieuwmarkt is the closest metro station and is served by lines 51, 53, and 54. Some city pass cards include unlimited use of public transport.
When to Get There
The Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum opens every day of the year except King’s Day, which falls at the end of April. Take advantage of the late-night opening hours to combine your visit with after-dark exploration of De Wallen.
Coffee Shop Culture
Amsterdam is one of the only European capitals where public consumption of cannabis is tolerated. Interestingly, so-called coffee shops, where you can purchase cannabis cigarettes and edibles, are generally more popular with tourists than locals. Look out for licensed sellers such as Grey Area, Original Dampkring, or The Bulldog The First as you wander around the city center, or visit the Cannabis College to learn more about safe consumption.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Dam Square
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Amsterdam
- National Monument (Nationaal Monument op de Dam)
- Red Light Secrets (Museum of Prostitution)
- Zuiderkerk (Southern Church)
- New Market Square (Nieuwmarkt)
- New Church (Nieuwe Kerk)
- Old Church (Oude Kerk)
- Madame Tussauds Amsterdam
- Body Worlds Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Dungeon
- Rembrandt House Museum (Museum Het Rembrandthuis)
- Royal Palace Amsterdam (Koninklijk Paleis Amsterdam)
- Museum Our Lord in the Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder)